Investment in public safety, water/sewer infrastructure and other services have not kept up with city growth. If we are to continue to be recognized as having the best quality of life for a city of our size in Virginia we need to ensure we have the public services to maintain such things as parks and trails, clean water, clean neighborhoods, and provide for public health and safety.
Fredericksburg’s future plans can’t ignore basic city services 11/7/2019 https://www.fredericksburg.com/opinion/commentary-fredericksburg-s-future-plans-can-t-ignore-basic-city/article_ab5dcf62-3af1-5396-8de1-52fb12614fa5.html
What Has Been Accomplished:
- Parking Deck –Involved in securing site/funding for the downtown parking deck. Served as Chairman of the Design Committee.
- Police Station—Involved in securing site/funding for the current police station on Cowan Blvd.
- Negotiated for additional fire suppression equipment for the Fire Department related to the gasoline storage facility off Dixon Street.
- As part of the city negotiating team with the Silver Cos. secured a fire station site in Celebrate Virginia.
The Next Four Years:
- Public safety needs to be a priority. First on the list is expanded fire protection with a new station.
- Establish long-term plan, to include implementation, to ensure city services are keeping up with the growth of the city. Make improvements in the Capital Improvement Plan on a regular basis.
- Begin to assess future needs to incorporate technology, and the needs to support it, such as electric vehicles, solar power, alternatives to landfills, etc.